Patras Carnival










Next week I will be in patras to participate in the Patrino karnavali which is largest if its kind in greece and europe.The carnival ends before the Clean Monday (the first day of Eastern Orthodox Christian lent )which actually occurs the beginning of the 7th week before Easter Sunday.

The apogee of this event is at sat’s night where we can see parade of floats of people,celebrating and drinking traditional Greek wine ,one of my friends told me that wine bottles will be sold in the streets for about 5 Euros.

The carnival starts in 17 Jan of each year in patra and also ends up there, lots of childrens games ,treasure hunts games.

As most of my colleagues started buying costumes and masks to wear them during the carnival, last week i was experiencing this feel in down town Athens where I wore Mexican hat while going to spend a wonderful night with most of guys wearing somehow cool stuff.

This carnival as I see it is reflecting pure Greek Christianity before the beginning of the big fast (lent),so it is a part of culture since 98% of Greece are Orthodox .

Special carnival songs will be played for this nice event,for me I can’t wait until I go there and attend this which we can’t find in our Arabic countries.

I will keep you updated with my unique experience as soon as i get back if i will do........ JK

Mouner Nijmeh
MBIT '08

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

i went last year to this carnival it was v nice , i liked it , i am sure u will enjoy it .

Ali zein from lebanon

Mouner Nijmeh said...

i hope so my frnd,till now wht i heard from all of colleagues i cant wait till being there.

Mouner Nijmeh

Anonymous said...

The nicest thing, is that it satisfies all ages and puts a smile on their face.

The Observer said...

Sounds like a cool carnival. Only 5 euro for a bottle of wine? I want one :). Hope you enjoy the carnival, let us know how it goes.