Easter food in Greece!

One thing that I have noticed this weekend is Greeks getting ready for Easter, which is 1 week from today! People here started buying Easter chocolates, candles, food preparation and of course buying clothes! It is a very joyful thing to watch and reminds of Easter back in Jordan and how I will celebrate it away from my family this year.

Every Greek is getting ready to eat “ARNI” next Sunday. Arni is simply a barbecued lamb that the Greek families enjoy on Easter day. In Jordan we also barbecue a lamb or sometimes we make the traditional MANSAF or any food with meat.

Tsoureki, is simply a sweet tasting bread with almonds on top. Made at home, and easily found in super markets. I bought a good quality one at Carrefour for around 4euro. Tasty!! We have this type of bread in Jordan but for us it is not linked with Easter.

Easter Eggs! Worldwide famous symbol for Easter! The strange thing I found out is that the traditional Greek Easter eggs are colored in RED, which is not common in Jordan.

Magiritsa, very common Easter soup that Greeks have on Easter eve! The soup is made out of the insides of the lamb including lamb liver, heart and intestines! I don't know if we have it in Jordan thought eating stuffed intestines is common for Jordanians.

Kokoretsi, simply intestines and lamb guts put on rod or stick and barbequed. I’ve been told that this is the best!!! Still have to try though. I never saw it in Jordan and I don’t know if people do it this way.

This is what I found out so far about the Greek Easter food and I can’t wait to taste it next week!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Red Easter eggs rings a bell, Orthodox churches usually gives out red eggs. I think in Greece, churches are Orthodox as well, I wonder why it's red though?

testing123 said...

It's red to symbolize the blood of Jesus Christ. As for red eggs in Jordan, my family go to church and I never saw them come back with any red eggs :)
and in Greece yes, the red eggs are very common!