Wedding Rings!!!

Recently I have noticed something weird here in Greece where old men/women put their “Wedding Rings” in their right hand and young people wear it in their left hand, for me it was like all elderly people are engaged and all the young are married!!! Because in Jordan from where I came from, you will have it in your right hand when you get engaged, then after you move on & get married you move it to your left hand. I asked Greek people why you do it this way, they simply answered you are the one who do it the opposite way… Hahaha a very funny answer!!!

Since I didn’t get a proper answer I consulted my ally in the internet world, I simply started googling “The History of Engagement Ring”. I have found many web sites with too many stories, at the end it’s all about cultures where some place their engagement ring in the right hand another in the left and some never use it at all. But the most interesting thing I found, is that most stories have agreed on wearing engagement/wedding ring in the fourth finger of the left hand because it is said that ancient civilizations Egyptians/Romans/Greeks believed that from that finger is the beginning of a vein that directly goes up to the heart, so the Romans called it vena amoris ("vein of love")... interesting isn’t it.

The question now why the hell I was looking to their fingers & why do we have to show people that we are committed ;)


9 comments:

Anonymous said...

one should place a ring on their finger..bc it resembles their devotion and commitment to their life partner..its a daily reminder of their detication to their marirage..thts why i personally think its neccessary for one to wear a ring..bt overall gr8 article ;)

Ola said...

Well... for me a comittment is a commitment .. with a ring or without.... but i dont mind having a diamond ring in any of my fingers ;)

Anonymous said...

The ring doesn't have a beginning and doesn't have an end. It symbolizes eternal love...
Some people say that rings should be placed in your left hand because it's the closest one to your heart :)

Amjad Alqaisi said...

Actually I have experienced what you posted here.. three days ago our E-business instructoe dr.sofia sow that my ring in the right hand and asked me if am married.. then I told her No I am engaged and when we marry we put the ring in the left hand..But in greece sho told me it is totally the opposit! anyway I also Proofed to her why we all put the ring in the fourth finger rather than others. So if you want really to know why we do that consult me andcyou can earn a new post to add to your blog! at the end of the day wheather you are from Jordan or Greece I think you have to wear it.. otherwise, the dog house is you bedroom tonight!!!

Anonymous said...

Well, its nice to wear the ring all the time, not only to show that you are committed to someone but it can reflect love and care, although those are much much deeper than just wearing a ring... some dont take off their rings but are never faithful to their spouses :)

Maen Mola said...

Well... nice the majority agrees on wearing the ring all the time in a way or another!
From my perspective as a male i think that girls use this ring in a way to show that this guy is hers ”he is already taken” ;) even if they are truly convinced that this guy is really committed to her & the relationship but he has to wear & we the poor guys don’t have any other option but to go along with their desires ;)

Anonymous said...

They are committed to their marriage!! which is a huge step for both, committing to a ring is a piece of cake:) why the hell not do it:)

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with you Dua'a but wearing a ring is not a tough thing to do and its only an expression of love and care, and people who don't mean it shouldn't do it

Anonymous said...

It's the moment that will take your breath away.