Sportsmanship, is it Alive!!!

This week end was a nice sporting one for me, I started my day by practicing few indoor exercises I found on the internet, later I went with some of the guys to play basketball in a park here in Peania next to the dorms, it was amazing we really had fun it was a mix of boys & girls playing while having fun but when the score was 8 scores to 7 and the game was about to end (who scores 10 first is the winner!!) tension started to rise, friends started to argue was it a foul or not, silly issues came up!!! Is it in the human structure the need to win!!!

I have been asking myself questions on my way back to the dorms do this “sportsmanship” still exists? Or it’s just a word used only by coaches & referees? Even on the professional levels you can see supporters arguing & almost fighting for a game played by others! They can almost loose a friend for a game played by different clubs only to show loyalty.

Back home football is the most popular sport in Jordan where Al Faysali F.C. with Al Wehdat F.C. are competing to lead the list, both club supporters are willing to spend tremendous time & efforts supporting their team building new friendship with people who supports the same team & probably letting a friend down just because his team won the game over his! Moreover when I came here to Greece I was amazed how Greeks are more into football than Jordanians, the head of IT support in AIT having in his office a picture of his lovely 1 year old daughter wearing Olympiakos red shirt - by the way she looked really nice GOD Bless her, in the metro you can see an Old guy and his son wearing Panathinaikos green sports wear!!! I had a discussion with my fellows Greeks & they couldn’t describe how bad it might go between the supporters of those two clubs.

I do have questions that I couldn’t answer myself because am really biased to the team I support so i am going to ask these questions loudly here in this Blog: Having aside the financial returns… why athletes enroll in clubs? Why clubs participates in tournaments? & the weirdest thing for me WHY supporters take it personally when you mention their team’s achievement “the loosing part ;)” ?!?!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

its in our nature fighting for something or anything even if it doesnt has a direct effect on us, and i can assure you that there is some kind of people who support a team or a club that he doesnt like or doesnt know anything about that club, but they support it because its a winning team, and here in jordan its kind of different coz wihdat represent the palestanian people and faisaly represents the Jordanian so that why you see a lot of fights over those two teams or clubs based on the Jordanian and palestanian thing!!!